To learn more about Your Rights and NTEU's Responsibilities:
WHAT is a UNION?
- A group of employees who speak as a group and advocate for the interests of the group, rather than individuals attempting to advocate for themselves, and by themselves
- This is the model of society -- we live in groups and none of us does everything it takes to live on an individual basis, but we make decisions as a group, we rely on others to make decisions for us, and we rely on others to provide for what we need -- we collectively agree that representatives will manage our roads, schools, police & fire protection, etc., and make adjustments accordingly, giving consideration to our opinions, of course
There is STRENGTH in UNITY -- what does that mean?
- The effect of an employer hearing concerns and interests of a group of employees, standing together, as opposed to just one or even a small handful of employees, which are not much to contend with
- The same is true when Union membership is low -- the employer can see that the group is not united and standing together, and therefore has little power
- Think of it this way: the power of one voice in the middle of a large stadium -- versus the power of the collective voices of everyone in the stadium -- which one is easier to ignore?
Is it all about being ADVERSARIAL?
- No -- more often than not, the interests of the Union and the employer can be combined for a win-win outcome. We all share the same goals -- it's in everyone's interest to work together to reach these goals
- But when problems arise, we have a process for resolving them
YOU are the UNION
- Members are the centerpiece -- the heart -- the guts of a Union
- You bring your concerns, problems, questions, interests, and ideas to Stewards, who serve as your point-of-contact -- and the Steward provides information and answers, and takes action where appropriate
- Sure, you can sit around griping about the Union -- or you can get involved in shaping your Union -- what it is, and what it does
WHY should you be a dues-paying MEMBER?
- Only members nominate and vote in Union elections -- for officers, and to approve the Contract
- The next election for officers is in 2016
- The current Contract will automatically renew in June 2018 -- but around that time, Articles in the Contract may be amended, reopened, added to, modified, or terminated
- This may include member involvement in telephonic meetings to discuss the issues
- Members participate in Contract negotiation
- The Union surveys members for input and opinions
- In 2016, at least one of the Contract Articles will be reopened -- renegotiated -- and up to FIVE Articles will be reopened in the next year or two
- Members affect the Union's agenda and decision-making
- You send a message to the employer that we stand together
- The Union keeps members informed -- and information is power
- We all benefit from the Union's work -- it's only right that we should all contribute to these efforts
To organize federal employees to work together to ensure that every federal employee is treated with dignity and respect.NTEU members can take action on legislative issues using their smart phones and iPads.
Visit http://capwiz.com/nteu from your mobile device or iPad to respond to call alerts and e-mail letter campaigns.